We always hear about how good a vegetarian diet can be, but is it really that good for you? Some people think that cutting out meat altogether is going a little too far, but is it? Are there in fact any benefits to having a vegetarian diet? We’re going to explore this now:
1. A vegetarian diet typically contains less fat than a non-vegetarian diet. Although you will get fat from cheese, milk and other products, you won’t be consuming as much as you otherwise would.
Picture Credit: epSOS.de
2. When it comes to eating a diet such as this, you’re more likely to know exactly what it is you’re putting on your plate. This is because traditionally vegetarian meals contain fewer preservatives, colors and flavors. What’s more is you’re likely to make home-made meals too, which means you know what goes on your plate 100% most of the time.
3. This type of diet can help with weight loss as there are often fewer fats consumed. This means that if you switch to a vegetarian diet from one that included meat, you’re likely to find that you lose a nice bit of weight.
4. Vegetarian diets can be very good for the environment. If everyone on the planet decided to stop eating meat, each family would only need one field to grow their fruits and vegetables. Meat eaters need 2-3 fields to grow fruit and vegetables as well as raising and feeding their livestock. With a world full of vegetarians, there would be more food available for everyone, and in theory no-one should go hungry.
5. A vegetarian diet can be very healthy as you’ll be getting more nutrients and you’re also less likely to eat foods that aren’t good for you. This means you’ll probably feel healthier and you’ll be less likely to fall ill.
Picture Credit: Olearys
6. A vegetarian diet does not have to be a limited one, in fact there are a lot of tasty dishes out there. You may even find you start eating vegetables you never thought you would enjoy. A diet such as this does not have to be dull, it has the chance to be an exciting one that will leave you satisfied after every meal.
7. Meat is getting more and more expensive these days , so you’ll save quite a bit of money if you switch to a vegetarian diet
8. If you find that you start to miss meat, don’t despair! You can easily find tasty meat substitutes in any supermarket and health food store.
As you can see there are a lot of benefits of a vegetarian diet, so why not think about eating less meat, and more of the good stuff?